It is compulsory for those in the 20km, 40km and 60km races to carry water with them. A minimum of half a litre is prescribed with the front runners in mind, but some may need up to 1½ litres, particularly for the 17km distance between Water Points 1 and 2 on the 40km.
This is not a mountain race where the weather can be unpredictable and the weather forecast for the farm Schalkwykskraal can be used as a guide of what to prepare for. It is recommended that you carry an extra layer over and above what you intend to wear.
It is compulsory for those in the 20km, 40km and 60km races to carry a cellphone and a whistle. Emergency contact numbers will be printed on your race tag.
Other Items to Consider
- Drinking cup. NO CUPS will be supplied for energy drinks at the refreshment stations on the 20km and 40km routes. On the 10km, disposable cups will be available but you may not carry them with you when you leave the water point.
- Sun and wind protection (hat, sunscreen, lip balm)
- Blister and chafing prevention/treatment (anti-chafe, plasters) – according to your experience
- No need to carry nutrition—will be available at the water points—unless you have your own specific requirements.
- Trail gaiters and/or a second pair of socks for grass seeds.